Monday 7 January 2008

Bread

Procrastination is something I pride myself on. With just a week to go until my first exam I can happily say that I have put revision off quite successfuly so far. Nevertheless, today I forced myself to spend a good few hours in the library trying to get my head around a number of subjects related to law, attempting to interpret the longwinded and convulated ramblings that everybody in the legal profession makes in order to say things of very little importance. So, when I got home I thought I had some well-deserved time to make up doing things that really needn't be done.

Voila... bread-making. Why hadn't I thought of it before? All this time I'd spent cleaning and tidying when I could have been producing sweet-smelling, soft yet crunchy, dough-based delights. Well there was no time like the present, so reaching for the trusty Jamie Oliver cookbook I pick out a recipe for courgette bread... I should have known that it was all downhill from here. Not having quite the ingredients necessary I scrabbled around til I had approximately what was required and set to work making courgette bread with a twist (feta cheese having a small part to play). After a good couple of hours kneading and proving (letting the dough rise) the only thing I had proved was that my dough was going to be stubborn and not rise. Not letting this hold me back I popped it in the oven and sending a little prayer upwards waited for a miracle to happen. And happen it did... the final product looked edible and in fact quite appetising:















Admittedly, I have photoshopped the second image a little. But can't you just imagine the Marks n Spencer sexy voice lady saying, 'freshly-baked courgette and feta bread with melted West Country butter...'?! I know you can. Unfortunately, this wouldn't be a Charlotte venture if everything went swimmingly... and so to the cutting of the bread. If it had been a wedding cake then this would definitely be a sign of a rocky married life. Sadly, though admittedly quite predictably after the no-rising incident, the inside of my beautiful bread beauties was far from delectable.














Not soft but solid as a rock, good for use as a doorstop or paperweight. Now I can see why breadmakers were invented. In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, 'Doh!'

1 comment:

Sam said...

Not sure how I ended up here. A link through Facebook and curiosity getting the better of me I think! In any case, certainly more interesting than the Linear Algebra lecture I'm in.

Seems to have been a slight while since the last blog so perhaps open your heart on your rising stardom as an Ultimate superstar; or perhaps on the legacy of your teenage years, on your last day as one.

Anyway, lecture's finished, cya soon! x